Monday, June 16, 2014

This Old House

I've always had a dream that I would one day live in an adorable old house. I've always wanted a tin roof and a front porch. I now have all of those things and just want out, out, out!

Taive and I own our house in Bryan but we rent our house in Pflugerville (built and last cleaned before we moved in in 1945). It's the perfect location for work because it was 2 minutes from my job (40 from his but that's not important). I thought it was the cutest thing ever and we were happy with it overall.Then we made the mistake of complaining of a roof leak. The solution the company found has been to scrape every scrap of paint off of this house. They also have decided to do so at a rate of one board per day. I mean I know it's hot and I know I have absolutely zero knowledge or experience but I am still pretty confident I could do it faster. Actually Meg (my sister) and I did scrape and paint fences at pioneer farms summer camp. Great camp. If you're interested in going in the hot summer to a place where they make you wear a long sleeved pioneer dress and do their land chores like paint, clean, feed livestock, and make lard soap it's a phenomenal camp.

Anyways, the guys who are painting the house are the nicest guys ever. Two are for sure felons but the nicest felons ever. Today I was bringing in groceries and one got off the paint ladder and came and helped because he saw that I had Jasper with me. Jasper loves to babble at the man who is the leader of their crew. Luckily at this rate the house will be finished in January so we'll really get to know 'em! We've also learned through this that our dogs are worthless as guard dogs.They hate confrontation.

I do love that we have a front porch but unfortunately I'm married to a man who thinks the front porch is a good place for trash, dropping off stuff out of his truck, etc. on our porch/porch furniture currently there are beach towels, a tervis tumblr, two pairs of boots, and a tarp. Luckily our across the street neighbor is SUCH a hoarder people haven't complained about us to authorities yet.

I'm glad I've had this old home experience so that I know it's not all pros and there are de-de-definitely some cons. Whenever I become a millionaire I'll have a historic home that's been frequently updated! I will be hiring those painters again though because they said Jasper is the cutest and that's what wins points with me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. I bought an older home with "charm". Holy Moly the charm has worn off...I have entered the 7th level of....."remodeling/updating". Glad to know others feel my pain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old home?? Laura, remember 108 17th Avenue North, Texas City, Texas??

    ReplyDelete