Sunday, June 8, 2014

People who need to shut up (spoiler alert-it's everyone!)

       OH. MY. GOSH. Hallelujah its Summer! I am so lucky I am a teacher and have the easiest job in the world and get paid to hang around with kids and then even get paid when I'm not working! OMG LOLZ!

      No.

     Let's clear up that this is not gonna be a post about how teaching is the hardest job ever. I also want to clear up the misconception that I'm getting tons of paid vacation. False. I get paid a daily rate for 187 days of work (and was forced by my district to work 192 without extra pay but I digress). School districts used to not pay teachers over the summer and just took their daily rate x 187 and divided that number by 10 months and paid them accordingly. Teachers (I guess) weren't great at budgeting for those summer months, so they now divide that number by 12 months.

      Now that that is all cleared up, lets get to it! This season is the most annoying time to be a teacher. It's always annoying to be a teacher because everyone in the world knows exactly what it's like to do your job and could even do it better than you! However, this season is especially annoying because everyone says "man I wish I'd been a teacher!" I have decided to just reply with "You should do it!"

      Don't get me wrong, I think teaching is the best job in the entire world. There are days I leave thinking "Oh my gosh I can't believe I get paid to do that!" There are also days like just this past week when my school was on lock-down because of a man with a gun around the campus where I think "Hmmmm...this is not worth it!" The same parents who want me to die because I gave their kid an 88 instead of a 90 expect me to die for their child if an emergency happens. Totes fair. There are a lot of mean spirited articles going back and forth about how teaching IS the HARDEST job in the world and then articles arguing that teaching IS the EASIEST job in the world. I think teachers feel the need to defend themselves so much because of the way we are treated but I don't think either are true at all. I just think teaching is one of jobs where the most people who have absolutely zero experience whatsoever feel totally comfortable telling teachers exactly what their job is like/how easy it is. If it was really easy and glamorous we probably wouldn't be one of the highest turnover careers.

      So, long story short, shut up non-teachers. You have absolutely no clue what it's like to stand in front of a classroom. I know Lawyers who quit teaching because it was too difficult. I also know of a former police officer who admittedly finds teaching in the classroom more intimidating than he found police work. Have you ever had to stand in front of a group of people and give a presentation? Was that intimidating for you? What if those people were in and out of legal trouble and it was solely up to you to control their behavior all while ensuring their academic growth. If that doesn't sound easy, then teaching wouldn't be for you. Much like anything else wouldn't be for me!
 
      Also, teachers shut up about how we have the hardest job in the world. How could you possibly know that? Have you attempted every job? No. You don't have to feel so defensive about your job. If people don't respect it then just  invite them to sub in your class one day and feel sorry for their future teachers who have to deal with a child raised by parents who have no respect for teachers. I think the people who attack how easy a teacher's job is really deep down wish they felt more fulfilled in their jobs. It also could be that they are just sick of hearing teachers complain complain complain about having the hardest job EVER. So on that note...STOP SAYING THAT!

      Non-teachers, I have no earthly idea what it's like to sell insurance, be a doctor, be a pharmacist, be a mechanic, be a musician, or be a store manager. I can only assume there are TONS of hardships and annoyances day in and day out that make your jobs insanely difficult. I just know that I would absolutely never say "Oh! I wish I had been a __________ that sounds SO easy!" I know that every job has tough aspects because I STILL have stress dreams about when I was in high school working at Sonic. When people want their Route 44 Cherry Limeades they WANT. IT. NOW!

     So! Next time you think about telling a teacher how easy their job is, just remember what a little brat you were. Or you can think about how you can't control your own child in the grocery store, and you only have 1-max 5- unless you're a Duggar. Remember that your own job is difficult and you wouldn't want to be constantly bombarded by advice on how to do it by people who don't know you or comments about how easy it must be.

      Teachers, stop being defensive divas and saying our jobs are harder than anyone else's because that's just crazy. Some jobs are easy for some that would be hard for others and the opposite is true. If I had to be a computer programmer I would get fired in about, eh, 3 minutes. I can't even use Excell spreadsheets. In fact, I literally just googled how Excell spreadsheets spells "Excell." I thought there was a cutsie focus around the X. I guess not, but there should be. You're welcome Microsoft.

      Be thankful for the job you have and if you love it you shouldn't have to justify it. If you know it sucks then either get the heck out of there or at least just admit that it sucks.

      Most importantly. I will be back to blogging because IT'S SUMMER AND I HAVE THE SUMMER OFF BECAUSE I AM SO LUCKY I'M TEACHER AND I HAVE THE EASIEST JOB IN THE WORLD!!!!! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Pure awesome. I laughed out loud many times and it made me feel like I really made a difference in the classes where I sat front row, nodding and laughing at my teacher's lectures. You're undervalued by society and it's a damn shame but you inspire me and all of the lives you touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Buds! It's frustrating when people say how "lucky" we are to have the summer off because I find myself getting defensive about a career I love. Getting time off in the summer is AWESOME, 20 minute (if we're lucky) lunches are not. Like any job it has advantages and disadvantages and I'm all for making people, including teachers, shut up :).

    ReplyDelete